Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's Official!

So, Brian put me on the list of participants of the Cannonball Read, which means I'm officially in the race. I seem to be in good company; I just checked out one of the other participants--Marra Alane--whose very first book was Stephenie Meyers abysmal vampire novel Twilight. Marra hated it.

I should probably post the rules: 100 books in 1 year. 200 pages. No graphic novels. Short story collections have to have 6 stories.

I'm adding "no cookbooks and no poetry" to my personal rules. I do, in fact, read new cookbooks cover to cover and I might even review some here, but counting them toward the race would be cheating. As for poetry, well, as Robert pointed out, poems tend to be printed in a way that takes up a lot of space so even a collection of 200+ pages isn't as dense as prose or non-fiction. Again, it'd be cheating.

In addition to Alabamapink, Brian and Marra, there's also Robert, and who knows, there may be more people signing up. Currently, Brian's in the lead with 12 books, followed by Alabamapink with 9. The rest of us are back in the peloton with 1 book apiece.

This is going to be fun! After all, I like wiping the floor with the competition.

3 comments:

  1. Gorram right I did. Although if you like the vampire thing, I'd really recommend the Sookie Stackhouse novels. They're not perfect, but definitely quick and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent posting. I love it! CONGRATULATIONS!
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marra, thanks for the rec. I've got friends who are wild about "True Blood" and I kind of wanted to read at least one of the books before I checked the TV show.

    ReplyDelete