Friday, November 14, 2008

Dunno if this is happening to anyone else....

Knowing that I lived in Iran for a couple of years in the '70s, a friend of mine just recently gave me the very nice, all-in-one-volume version of Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, which I've been wanting to read for a while. And then today....

Well, today we got a new car. My mother-in-law, for reasons surpassing understanding, bought a brand new Jetta last year, in spite of the fact that she was hardly driving at all and had a perfectly good, late model Volvo. Now that she's living with a cousin and has sold her condo, she doesn't need the car and so she had it shipped from Chicago to us here in California. It's completely paid for, has only 900 miles on it and it even still smells like a new car.

Now ever since she decided to sell her condo, she's been asking Nancy if there was anything she wanted, since Nancy had left some stuff in the basement way back when she went to college. And Nancy kept saying, "no Mom, I really don't need any of that stuff, except that it might be cool to have all my old Nancy Drew books." So, there in the surprisingly roomy trunk of the car were two boxes of Nancy Drew books. I flipped through some of them, thinking I might read a few, only...they're all under 200 pages.

The point--other than OMG Yay New Car!!!--of this long-winded digression is that I seem to have changed my reading habits to the point where I won't let myself read anything that doesn't qualify for Cannonball. It's kind of stupid really; I'm doing pretty well--last I checked, I'm in third place--and Godtopus knows that I've got more free time than a lot of other people doing the Read. I could probably take some time to read something--other than fan fiction--that doesn't qualify, but I just feel like it would be wrong or something.

My brain, she is weird sometimes.

Come next September or 100 books, which ever comes first, I'm probably going to have a huge stack of graphic novels--I mean really, I've never read Watchman or Y, the Last Man and recently I've been wanting to reread the collected Sandman--and short books waiting for me.

4 comments:

  1. Meanwhile I'm deliberately eyeing the under-200-page books on my shelf when trying to decide what to read next, as something longer might not get done before the year's over. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee! Want a couple of Nancy Drew books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I really liked Persepolis, and I usually never touch graphic novels. And both take maybe one hour to read, so don't stop yourself from reading them just because they won't qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually got a ton of my mom's Nancy Drews out in the garage. I should get some of my favorites out and see if they stand up to a reread.

    ReplyDelete