Wednesday, November 5, 2008

*checks* Yup, still married!


Dear people out there in CA who voted yes on 8, including some of you in my freakin' hometown (and thanks a lot for that; I like to think of Sacramento as a nice blue spot in a Valley of red),

I'd just like to take this moment to tell you that me, Ruth, the big fat dyke? Still married. Screw you.

To the rest of you out there:

Okay, as you've seen around, or maybe you haven't (which is why I'm linking to this): "The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the National Center for Lesbian Rights filed a writ petition before the California Supreme Court today urging the court to invalidate Proposition 8 if it passes." Basically the argument is that substantial changes to the State Constitution require the approval of the Legislature before they go to the people in the form of a ballot initiative. This one? Pretty substantial and it never went before the Legislature.

Bear in mind that this is the same Court that declared for equality back in June. I don't know these people and I'm sure they'll be all fair and impartial and stuff when they do their judge thing , but you know? It's got to be kind of annoying to have done your damn job, interpreted the Constitution, and then had a bunch of people spearheaded by a church in freakin' Utah (we don't even share a border with them!), try to get around something you said was legal. Also I bet they didn't take kindly to being called "activist judges."

May I just say that I'm personally glad we have State Attorney General Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown on our side? Say what you will about him, but the guy's a solid liberal and is the one who insisted that Prop 8's language be changed to reflect the fact that it was taking away rights. It probably would have passed with better numbers if he hadn't done that.

Also, Joe the Plumber? Screw you too. My union plumber voted for Obama.

So, three people in the room--two plumbers and me. Who knew where the nearest hardware store was? I should have asked them to drop in at Butch n Nellies to get me another coffee; the one I had at 6 has long since faded and I'm running on freakin' fumes here.

PS, I read two books, so I'm up to 17 now and I'm halfway through Neal Stephenson's utterly awesome Anathem. I love how he entertains, makes me feel smart and makes me feel kinda ignorant, all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment